Pictured Victoria Carter with Bridget Saunders
Our friends at Green Carbon hosted drinks at Mink in Parnell. It was a great initiative to bring together like minded people and hear about carbon friendly trends. Cityhop was delighted to be invited to their second ‘Carbon Friendly Drinks‘. CEO Victoria Carter was invited to speak – somewhat challenging over an enthusiastic group enjoying a few drinks and meeting new people. Still, she got her message across about how easy it is to rent a car by the hour after you become a member of cityhop.
The cool people at Green carbon minimise the impact of the event on the environment by offsetting the carbon footprint of the attendees.
In her talk, Victoria explained how she got into car share; her history as a city councillor, her obsessive recycling to make up for all the disposable nappies she used when her kids were babies!
So what’s Cityhop? Here’s a quick overview:
- Cars are located at convenient car parks in and around the City, Newmarket and Wellington.
- You can book the car for a minimum of one hour on line or by phone
- Make your way to the car, swipe a special access card on the windscreen, which unlocks the car doors and off you go.
- Once done, you return the car back to its original parking spot for the next person to use, lock and leave!
- The hourly pricing is all inclusive – $15 for individuals, $13 GST for companies, special rates for overnight or more than 5 hours.
Hourly price includes the fuel, insurance and maintenance.
It’s just like mum’s car except you don’t have to ask permission!
And why it is good for the environment?
- The cars in the fleet are Daihatsu Sirions or Mitsubishi i-cars, both of which are very low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, amongst other eco-friendly qualities.
- It gives people the choice of not needing to own that second car, or even a car at all.
- Research conducted by US-based Zipcar, the world’s largest car-share firm, found that every car in such a programme takes 20 privately-owned cars of the road. Less cars equals less emissions = cleaner air= cleaner waterways= cleaner and more liveable cities,
And people who car share, walk more, use public transport more, their driving habits change once they start thinking about every trip and considering do I need a car for this!Check it out and see how you can save money by not owning a car.